Tuesday, February 28, 2012

In That Case, I Don't Mind Being a Snob

Today I heard an outlandish quote that made me laugh almost to tears. The statement was "President Obama once said he wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob!"

 If you don't know who said this by reading it, I'm sure you could have at least guessed one of the 'well spoken' (and I use this term loosely) members of the republican party who are running to be the next president of our country said it.

Rick Santorum said this at a campaign stop in Detroit, and it completely baffles me that he honestly thought this statement made the least bit of sense. A graduate of Penn State, U. Pitt and the Dickinson School of Law, Santorum once said as a senator he was "committed to ensuring that every Pennsylvanian had access to higher education."

I understand that while running for President it is tempting and seen as a strategic move to downplay the policy's and ideals of your opponents, but the republicans this time around have gone so far that they lost the intelligence of being logic and are looking like the (excuse my lack for a better term) biggest flip-floppers to have ever ran for a public office.

Between switching their views on healthcare in order to dismay the recent health care plan back by Obama, their ideals on the bailout for American car makers, and now this, it seems that these republicans don't think Americans are intelligent enough to recall their former stances on issues or even realize the absurdity of their statements.

"I understand why he wants you to go to college," Santorum said. "He wants to remake you in his image. I want to create jobs so people can remake their children into their image, not his."

Was Santorum saying he wants people to go to work instead of going to school to make a generation of working class, blue collar individuals that have no education? Even so, I always thought the best way to have a successful job industry is for people to be educated. I must've been misinformed all these years.

I could go on and on how much Santorum and other republicans make my head hurt from their backwards thinking, which I'm sure they'll change if by some fat chance they make it into office, but I digress.

At the end of the day though, if a man who came from the working class and made his way to become the first African American President of the United States wants to make me into his likeliness, then that's fine by me. I guess I'd prefer to be a snob like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment