Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I Dare You

I have a confession.

If you don't know me very well this may be some shocking news. And even if you do know me, this may still be shocking.

*Deep breath*

I...I...I like...well I like...I like the Spice Girls!!!! Actually, I love the Spice Girls.

Okay, who am I kidding, everyone that knows me probably would not find this shocking news at all.

I know this is random, but it's not that random considering this day in 1998 the Spice Girls started their first North America.

I've always been a huge fan of them, even though they haven't been together in years. But it's not just them that I'm obsessed with. My boyfriend has brought to my attention that its all mid-late 90's and early 2000's pop music that I love with all my heart and soul, especially my favorite group of all time, the legendary Backstreet Boys! (just thinking about them puts a smile on my face!!!!)

I say all this for a reason. I have never been ashamed to say I like the Backstreet Boys or Spice Girls, that I didn't know anything about any Black music or artist until I was probably about 13 when I got into Lil Bow Wow and B2K. I have never been ashamed to say what I like and what I don't like.

For this I've got some slack and have had some people look at me like I'm crazy, but I've never cared. What I like is what I like, and if you don't like it then so be it.

What helped me to survive being the person that I am, the sometimes outlandish thinking individual who wears, says and thinks what she wants, is the fact that God made me who I am and there are individuals who love me and enjoy my company for me. It has also helped to know that the people that I call friends are just as weird and crazy thinking as me, some more than others.

The reason why so many people in the US suffer from low self-esteem is because they're not comfortable with who they are and the life that they live. To live a truly happy life you need to embrace who you are and your situation. Your situation is for you and sometimes you need to make the best of it. Even though it's hard at times, you must learn from every experience that you have and embrace what you've gone through and what got you there.

I've gone through some really tough times in my life. I've experienced some things that many people couldn't imagine going through or don't understand how I let certain negative situations end up being a kind of positive in my life. But at the end of the day, I've grown and I'm still me. And I do what I want, I think like I want, I dress the way that I want, and I want to be me.

Learn from your past and move on with your future. Dare to be different. Dare to be you. And when you get a crazy thought in your head, don't dismiss it, sometimes it's best to act on it, rather it calls for a real action or just speaking on something. As Nike says, 'Just do it.'

So today, I dare you to say every crazy thought that comes into your mind. Watch, you'll feel so relieved to know that you didn't hold anything back.

Shout to the following people that I know don't care what people think about what they think and/or say.

Leann, Daria, Ehime,
Kimmy, Isiah, Brit Irons,
Kiara, Anthony F., Josh, Khadeem
Whitney, Kyra, Monica,
Dexter, Nandi, Rienne,
Elvis, Alyssa, Rufus, Maria
Khendall, La'rhonda, Rae, TO
Adam, Spoony G, Vince
Ace, Alley, Arielle

2 comments:

  1. I love this boo & thanks for the shoutout! Its much better & more fun standing out then fitting in =)

    -L.Love

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Khendall!

    "I've always been inspired by the way you've been able to make a simple message an innovative movement. Team#MEeeeee and always Team#Youuuuu"

    ReplyDelete